Up until very recently, the only thing I have put decals on is a tank – a large, flat surface that is relatively easy to do. I have just started to put them in other places. I usually freehand details like that, but seeing how I am now painting a full army, that is a lot of freehand. It is about time I learned how to use decals anyway as some of the orders I have taken lately have also asked for them. Here are the results on one of the Blood Angels Assault Intercessors – and a shot of the Captain again as well because I am super proud of him!
I use Microset to put the transfer in place, and then Microsol to soften it and set it. It means that the transfer molds to the curves of the shoulderpads and sets well, but in my eyes, it still looks shiny. I need to get some matt varnish to spray over the top and see if that helps with this. I used satin varnish on the Judiciar, as that is what I had but I think a matt varnish will look better.
I know this process is a case of keep practicing and trying things and finding out which works. That is why I am using my own miniatures to practice on after all. I already feel more confident with them, though I am unsure how I would cope with placing a transfer on a more curved surface. The only way is to give it a try and see what happens.