Some of you are aware of Menskera already. I have written a short story about how he and his companions steal a Reaver Titan in 40K. I had a miniature of him built as a part of a miniature exchange three years ago too, which can be found here:
I have now assembled and painted a 30K version of him! I want to learn how to play 30K – in an attempt to get to a point where I can enter a tournament, and as such, I need to have an army that’s painted. I have started with the recently released box set, and the Praetor seemed a good one to start with. Here he is:
He has to have a galaxy cloak! When you have done something enough times that an author makes it canon, you have to continue to do so.
Anyway. I also wanted to make sure his skin was dark. I figure that as Tizca is a desert, that most skin tones would be darker. I also really like painting darker tones so that works in my favour.
This is the first time I have used Tamiya paints through the airbrush as well. First I had to base coat the miniature silver, drybrush the highlight silver over it and then airbrush the red over that. It is a bit of a process, and I am not keen on the smell, however the end result looks amazing. Especially when the gold has been added to the trim.
I have a couple of squads to work on next, and then a land raider. I want to take learning the game steady, as I do not want to overwhelm myself with loads to remember. I am looking forward to it though!
This last week, I have been working on the first part of a gang for Necromunda. This was a great chance to work with someone on a colour scheme, while also being able to use our talk to take the colours where I thought they worked best. The colours settled on were bright green and brass for the metallic. I also wanted to use different tones for the skin, which was fine by the gang owner! Here is the result:
Although the initial colour discussed was bright green, I reserved that for the final highlight colour rather than making it the base. I used Incubi Darkness as the base for the cloth, which helped tie the colours together.
As there was no stipulation with the hair colour, I decided a range would be good. I think Necromunda is quite a vibrant game, and this is reflected in those choices.
In a continuation of another project, I was asked to paint some more miniatures in the coast guard theme. This time, it was a mix of different miniatures that filled in gaps and added to the power of the group. I had painted some of them previously, but not in a colour scheme like this. It was fun using different colours on familiar miniatures. Here are the results:
I really do love this scheme, and I am pleased with how they have turned out. The dark blue looked great with the flashes of bright yellow, and all these miniatures have taken it really well. I think my favourite is the robot and his instructor though!
One of my recent projects was some more Death Guard for one of my regular clients. He wanted them to match the previous scheme I had done some other miniatures in, and I was only too happy to do so. I love the wash style I did these in and how grimy they turn out.
As they are white, it is quite tricky to get clear pictures of them through the light box, so these will have to do! The client had always wanted a horde of terminators to explode out of tanks, and now he has them. I am particularly pleased with the biologus and how his jars stand out against his grimy gear. They all look good together I think, and know they’ll spread disease and despair wherever they go!
Here are some more Sisters of Battle that I have worked on recently. Although still not a huge fan of the range, I have quite enjoyed painting these ones. The black, red and gold is effective, and I am pleased with how they have turned out.
As these are for an army, I have stuck to the same Astrogranite base with simple tufts.
Painted to go with the custodian, these miniatures were loads of fun to work on. I enjoyed doing the gold on the custodian, and getting to do so again on these was great. I also painted the jewels blue on these to match him, and the bases are also done in the same astrogranite grey texture paint with similar little tufts added for effect.
I went for a more magenta on the cloak rather than red, so they do look a bit different from the custodians as well.
All in all, I am very pleased with how they have turned out.
Part of a commission for Andy at Simply Warhammer, was these Sisters of Battle Paragon suits.
I am not really a fan on the range personally, but I do like the black, red and gold aesthetic. These were done to a Tier 1 level, and I surprised myself with how much I actually liked painting these.
They were not too taxing to build either, which was nice. I tried to keep the bases pretty simple by only adding a bit of static grass to some texture paint. I went for grey as it is neutral against the vibrant red.
These are for Necromunda, which the gang have been playing recently. I grabbed a hold of these to practice what the rusty metal looks like on a miniature rather than scenery. These were a good excuse to refine the technique and I think they turned out really well.
I did not put the oxide onto these miniatures, as I felt that they did not need the extra emphasis. They looked good as they were, and their owner agreed!
This guy was a prize for a recent give away from Simply Warhammer. The winner of this character give away picked the Biologus. He was a delight to paint. I loved the contrast between traditional Death Guard grunge and brightly coloured jars. The puddles on the base made a difference, and I think that adding flowers just make the colours stand out all the more.
All in all, I am super pleased with how he had turned out and I know the winner is too. I hope to paint more Death Guard in the future – they’re just loads of fun!