miniatures.

Bases: an experiment!

So, as I am entering Little Stampy into Golden Demon now – more on him later, I need to do something pretty funky with his base. I know the titan is going to be stamping on a tank, which is awesome, but what is the rest of the base going to look like?

I used the opportunity to pick up a few different basing materials in order to have a play around with them. Most of them were water effects bits, so I spend a while creating rivers and waves, and seeing which were the most effective. I have put a description under each picture so you can really see what I used.

I am pleased with the effects I have created with these bases. I am not sure yet if I am going to use them on the Golden Demon entry, but either way, it was fun to mess about and just create without the pressure of needing to get things finished!

Like my work? Consider buying me a ko-fi: https://ko-fi.com/hereticdeb

miniatures.

Crackle Paint and Ultramarines

I actually picked this up by accident. I intended to go for the Martian Ironcrust – the gravel texture paint that I use for nearly all my bases, but picked up Martian Ironearth instead. I was a bit surprised when I opened the tub and saw that it was smooth! I decided to go for it anyway – the colour was still right after all. Bright red really makes the blue of the Ultramarines stand out I think. Here they are:

I was unsure at first, then realised that painting the base before I put the crackle on was a good idea. this made it a bit easier. I also had to make sure that the feet had a bit of the drybrush colour on as well to give them a bit of a weathered look, otherwise they didn’t look quite right.

I really love the effect however adn I plan on playing about with it on some spare bases that I have knocking around. I bet they create a wicked lava effect.

Age of Sigmar · miniatures.

Basing – Water Effects.

A long time ago, I was once told that what makes a miniature look great is ‘bases and faces’. I always remembered this, maybe because it rhymes, so I have set aside some time to really think about how I am going to improve creating bases. For basic miniatures, I am happy to stick to using texture paints, however I want to stretch myself and try new things as well.

I have recently started collecting Ioneth Deepkin – so new that I have only assembled twelve of the miniatures, and have been thinking about a theme for them. I love water effects but wanted to look at something a bit different than just have them as a generic sea based force. I thought about different biomes within the water and settled upon a swamp theme. I shall be using greens and browns for the force themselves but more of that when I get to them.

I began by using water effects paint and seeing what it looked like over sand:

IMG_3646IMG_3647

I also used plastic from the blister packs to try and create waves and splashes. They look ok, not great, and not very swampy. Alright for a first play around though.

I then thought about what a swamp looks like, and used Pinterest to do some research. I discovered that swamps have a lot of reeds and plants in them and have a green and brown look to the water as well. So I painted some bases, put different materials on for land. This is how they turned out:

IMG_3698IMG_3701

I think the little plants and the reeds look good. I also really like the sand and the dark brown mud texture paint. I think the green on the bottm of the base it too green though. To me, it looks more like slime than the sludge at the bottom of a swamp. I want to try this again with a browner paint. I also want to try and see if I can add swamp weed into the water. This will take more than one layer of the texture paint however and might be reserved for the character bases.

It is a good start however, and I have a lot of ways forward to explore.

miniatures.

Water effects: An Experiment.

I have been doing some hobby bits for myself today. Shocking I know. A week or so ago, at the meet-up, I bought some Age of Sigmar miniatures with the intention of actually learning to play the game. I have been thinking about what I want to get out of the miniatures I bought and how I want to make them look amazing.

I went for Ioneth Deepkin – or Fish elves as I have been calling them.

I don’t like the plastic stick that holds up some of the miniatures, so I have been looking for a way around using them. Here is what I did today.

First I mixed some liquid resin and painted it over some cotton wool. I have heard of this being done before and wanted to see what it looks like.

IMG_3135

I am not convinced how well this will actually work, but you never know without trying.

I then tried another method, which I think will work better. I cut up bits of blister plastic into triangles and glued them onto a base:

IMG_3137

I then covered the base in gel diorama water effects stuff. I also built a wave and another base to see how they turn out:

I need to let them dry and see how they look then. I suspect I will need to put another layer on as well, but we shall see. It is a start and I am only going to learn by trying different things. Let’s hope one of them will lead to success!