fine detail · miniatures.

Slime Splatter

I made a small diorama as a gift the other day and am only now getting around to posting about it – mainly because by the time this post goes live, the gift will be recieved and it shall be safe to do so. I wanted to create something fun, but I have also wanted to mess about with creating slime. I’ve read several tutorials about using UHU glue and wanted to give it a go. Here are the results:

First of all, UHU is very stringy, so it was perfect for creating ropes of slime between aspects of the miniature. It got stickier as it began to go off, which meant it was easy to shape as well.

I think the hardest part was the first step – attatching bristles to where I wanted the drops to be. It needed a bit of patience to wait for the super glue to go off before I was able to attach the next one.

UHU glue does take paint well, so it was good to put a wash over the top and see it retain its shine. I want to do some more work around this, however I also have a few commissions to work on, all the learning from the Seige Studio course to work through as well as other projects. Maybe there should be a few extra hours in the day so I can get everything done!

40K · miniatures.

Basing!

I have spent this week working on the base of a diorama I plan to enter for the Everchosen Open category at the end of the month. I doubt this entry will get very far, but for me, the challenge of converting and building this miniature and the base, was motivation enough.

The idea was to have a Night Lord jumping on a Broodlord’s head and stabbing it with lightning claws. The miniatures I already had painted as they were going to be part of the diorama for Golden Demon that didn’t get finished. The challenge with them now was going to be fititng them onto a smaller base and still making it look good.

I went for a round base, and here are the materials I started off with:

IMG_2163

I used the cork to build up the centre of the base. The wire brush was good at roughing up the edges so it didn’t look too much like a sheet of cork. I then glued on fine gravel to give the entire base some texture.

IMG_2164

I still wasn’t happy with the cork, so I used texture paint to cover it. I wanted it to match the texture of the ground.

After leaving it to dry completely, I undercoated it black. I then had to attach the broodlord to the base, so out came the greenstuff. I used that to create rock up around his feet and the sculpting tools to make it look as much like rock as I could!

I didn’t like it 24 hours later, so I covered it in sand to see if I could get the textures to match – happily, it worked!

IMG_2195

I then undercoated it black. After it had dried. I painted the whole base dryad bark and then washed it with Nuln oil. I then spent a good deal of time drybrushing different shades of brown over the base. I aimed for a reddish colour, this is how it turned out:

IMG_2199

The base was still flat, so I added some burnt tufts of grass, a nurgling and some slime, a ripper and a few spots of blackish-blue blood. Here is the final result:

IMG_2202IMG_2203IMG_2204IMG_2205IMG_2206IMG_2207