I love going to Warhammer World, it has a really nice atmosphere and some great sights to see. The shops are always good to look around as well and Bugman’s Bar is good for food and relaxing. I love going on the open days too, because you get all of that, new releases and the chance to speak to the studio teams as well. I always come away feeling enthusiastic about new projects and with a buzz that lasts.
Today was the New Year Open Day and there were loads of new things to see! I have taken a wealth of pictures, as always so I will put these here first and then talk about them!
I saw a lot of amazing things today. I loved the new deredeo with the uber weapons load-out. I do have a soft spot for them though. I saw new Blood ANgel miniatures, which were cool. The Warcry Beasts were amazing. The new Tau lady was neat as well, though I am not a fan of them they looked good none the less.
The Exocrine is perhaps one of my all time favourites, because it has a silly grin on its face. How can I take it seriously with a smile like that??
I got to see a wicked diorama of Tzeentch creatures fighting the Dwarven Arkanauts, which was amazing. I love dioramas and made sure I took loads of pictures so I can use them as reference for my own work.
I also bought some cool stuff:
Personal projects this year will mostly include Blood Angels and Ioneth Deepkin, and reading.
A few weeks ago, I went on a painting course run by Seige Studios. I learned a great many things, some of which I have been putting to good use already. Little tweaks to make my work more efficient and other little housekeeping tips that have had significant impact. However one of the core teaching points of the course was battle damage and decals, neither of which I have done since the course. I wanted to change this and happened to spot the Primaris Repulsor in the cabinet looking all grey and sad. Normally, I don’t do battle damage on the Ultramarines however I need something to practice on and it seemed perfect.
First job was to airbrush the base coat onto it:
There were a couple of splatters with the airbrush, but I wasn’t upset about that. It would give me an idea of where to put the battle damage while I was working meaning they’d not show while I was finished. My next step was to edgehighlight the whole thing. This took a while and again, I made several mess ups while I was doing it. These will also be turned into rust spots and other battle damage.
When done, I started on the front of the tank. I don’t have any large Ultramarine decals, but I have some smaller ones. I placed one on the front and then followed the steps I had written down while on the course.
In the picture, you can see some of the places towards the top of the tank where the edge highlighting is a bit too thick – this will become damage when I get around to adding some more to the vehicle.
It might be some time before I do so however, I am finding that personal projects are taking a bit more of a back seat while I work on commissions and miniatures for selling. Those are what pays the bills after all. I think my evenings will be for personal things and learning, while the day is for work miniatures. Either way, I find I am very much enjoying the amount of painting I am doing and even those miniatures I have painted more than once are fun.
I made the observation the other day that I have got a lot quicker at painting miniatures to a good standard. It may be fairly obvious, I am doing so every day after all, but I have never been that quick to make realisations of this kind. So far this week, I have painted and assembled 9 Warcry miniatures and 34 Kill Team miniatures. I have also painted the Death Jester to a very high standard and another Eldar miniature with freehand on as well. That’s 45 miniatures, which in my eyes are pretty reasonable in quality. I understand that I have to be relatively swift, otherwise I am not going to be able to make much money. I would never have been able to complete them so quickly six months ago. I have started painting by colour for each group, which has speeded things up a great deal.
Here is this week’s worth of work:
The two kill teams I have painted before, so maybe that sped things up a little too. I already knew the details and where they were. However, I think the batch painting by colour has also helped as well. It seems a more efficient way of doing things and that can’t hurt.
If anyone is interested in any of these minatures, they are for sale. They can be found on my ebay site, though you can also contact me here, or on any social media, as well.