As most of you know, I love painting tanks. I’ve had this one kicking about for a while, and decided to paint it yellow. Most people do not like painting yellow! I am not too bothered by it now as I have done it a fair few times. I find that if you get the undercoat right, then it is a lot easier to apply. I try and use a red based brown – like Doombull by Games Workshop – and then apply several thin coats of Averland Sunset. You can also use pink to highlight it, which I have done here using P3’s Carnal Pink. Here are the results:
I used the airbrush for the base yellow, and for applying the grime at the bottom of the tank too. The top part with the gun on I have not attached as yet. As I do not intend to keep this one, it will be easier to post this way!
Normally I cannot stand a cheesy pun but that one was too good to resist. So far this month, I have finished three tanks. Two of the Executioners and one of the Repulsors. I wanted to show the different colours I have done, and really to just stand back and be pleased with them. I have discovered that I really enjoy painting vehicles and it doesn’t take a great deal to make them look weathered and worn. Here they are in their battered glory!
I love the kits, and now that I have done several of them, I feel that they do not take a great deal of time to put together. I do need to work on making sure they fit together a bit better so there are no gaps in them though, the front panel is a swine for this. I just need to be a bit more patient.
Having an airbrush to base coat them makes them a lot quicker to paint, and I think using Seraphim Sepia to add the grime to the bottom just adds to the layer of battle damage. It applies really smoothly and although I have tried other washes, I just think this one looks the best!
I have always shied away from yellow in the past, the colour is a pain to get looking vibrant and usually takes loads of layers. I’m not one to shy from a challenge however and I need to be comfortable in all colours. So, I decided to paint some aggressors and a tank as Imperial Fists.
I used the airbrush to base coat them. I have been told by a painter vastly superior to me, that Doombull Brown is good for yellow, so I started with that. Then used Ochre yellow, then Medium Yellow by Vallejo.
They came out rather brighter than I expected. Bonus. I then painted in the other base colours, which never makes a miniature look good. They have to get worse in order to get better in some ways. I wasn’t panicking, but I wasn’t impressed either…
Remembering Gary’s words, I then got my shade on with thinned Doombull Brown. Highlighted with Yriel Yellow and then Flash Gitz yellow, I also touched up the rest, finished off the bases and have left him to sit. I will no doubt tinker with the one I have completed tomorrow when I have a fresh set of eyes. Then it is on to the tank…