I did not expect to go back to Warhammer World quite so soon after our last visit a few weeks ago! It is not far from where we live – an hour and a half at the most, and this time we took some friends with us. It was a great chance to look at some bases and get some inspiration for how I want to do my Titan base for Golden Demon!
Little Stampy is now going to be a Golden Demon entry, and as such, I want to kick up the ideas I had for him and really think about how I want the final piece to look. I took a lot of pictures while I was there and have them stored up for inspiration. Of course I want to share them here as well! There is always new things to notice with the massive dioramas and I love going!
There are also some Thousand Sons on there, because I want my heresy army to be Thousand Sons, because Ahriman!
Every year, I make a diorama for my husband using the bits I have spare in the hobby room. For me, it is an excuse to try out different techniques and create something fun. I really enjoy doing these and this year was no exception. I got to try out two new things. First of all though, let me show you what I made:
The two things I created that were new this year, was the river and the barrels.
I have wanted to try rusty barrels for a while, and this was the perfect excuse to do so. I found a recipe for it online and I am pleased with the results – I shall do a tutorial on this in a few posts time!
The other thing was the river. For that, I found some dried leaves outside and scrunched them up until I had small flakes. I then used PVA glue to put them on the base in a river, including the little waterfall area. When that had dried, I went over it with Vallejo’s Water Texture goo (which smells pretty interesting) and then let it dry. When I had done so, I had a river!
For those who are unsure what is going on in this diorama, here is an explanation. The Space Marine, is playing Humanity Ascendant – a sci-fi, post apocalyptic LARP, which uses QR codes as a method of passing on information about the world to the players. He is using his scanner to see what those barrels are! More info on HASC can be found here:
Regular client and my good friend, Andy over at Simply Warhammer on Youtube, commissioned me to finish off a set of three Knight Moirax recently.
I love painting bigger miniatures and these are lovely detailed kits. They did not take me too long to paint as bits of them were already done. I am especially pleased with the bases – this is something I want to start getting a bit more adventurous with. I used red crackle paint over a yellow base and then drybrushed some orange over the top and added dead plants to give a desert battle ground feel.
I was recently asked to paint a bunch of Death Guard Marines for a client. They asked if Inwould be able to match some miniatures they had already done using a similar style.
It was neat because the original miniatures were done using loads of washes and technical paints rather than string acrylic colours. It was a lot of fun trying to match the colours and grime of the original minis while trying to add my own flair to them. Here they are:
I m so pleased with how they turned out, and would like to try those technique on other models to see how well it carries over.
Between commissions, I have managed to paint some of the Foundry miniatures. I really wanted to see what ruffly pants men looked like in garish colours, so went for it! Yellow and purple are a good clash, and then add in the bright blue gems and it looks truly… bright.
I like them. I know these sculpts are a very hit or miss thing depending on preference, as with most things, but I think they’re pretty funky!
If you are interested in these miniatures, they can be found here:
Raven Guard part V was a single miniature. It was the Forgeworld Vigilator, which was a really lovely mini to work on. The edges were sharp, there was no slips to work out in the sculpt and he was a lot of fun. Painted to match the rest of his brothers, I had a lot of fun working on him.
I am especially pleased with the grey digi pattern cloak.
I have started putting some time aside each week to work on my own miniatures. I want to clear some of my own backlog, and it is a good time to practice some skills too.
This week, I worked on some Iron warriors and some more freehand on the Warmaster Titan.
These guys just needed a little bit of touching up and dusting. They did not take long to finish and get put in the cabinet.
This guy’s weapon was broken beyond repair, so I had to look around for a new one. when the Horus Heresy box set drops, we plan on using them as Blood Angels, and I had a spare sword from the 40k ones I had a while back. This guy clearly grabbed a replacement weapon off a fallen Blood Angel!
The layer blending is not perfect. I think I need a darker mid tone so it doesn’t blend in with the light one as much.
I now have most of the troops done; just 6 regular guys, 12 terminators and then I can move on to the vehicles and dreadnoughts.
My other task was to do a bit more on the Warmaster, Captain Cogs. This machine is taking a long time but if I keep doing a little each week, then he’ll eventually get finished!
This is another commission I have recently worked on. As many know, I am not a huge fan of Sisters of Battle, but these ones weren’t too bad to work on. Perhaps because there were not too many of them.
I also worked on a Space Wolf Iron Priest, who I am really pleased with. I love putting snow on Space Wolf bases, as I feel this really adds to their look. I used contrast paint over silver on some parts to keep the shine, and even dug out some old yellow ink for some parts.
The apothecary also turned out well. I am still not a huge fan of painting white, as it can be tricky to get looking crisp. I used Ulthuan Grey to help achieve this in this case and I feel he turned out alright.