miniatures.

Mephiston – Finished

I have finally finished Mephiston! And what a learning curve he was too. I’ll start off with some pictures and then say what I think!

I am very pleased with the results. In particular the sword. This is the first time I have done multiple blends – dark, to light and back again – on the same weapon and I think it turned out well. It looks smooth and the edges look sharp.

The wings worked well, I am pleased with how the yellow brightens the tips and highlights them too. The freehand on the cloak is some of my best work to date when it comes to freehand and although it took an age, I am sure I would be able to recreate the brocade pattern even better if I were to use it again.

Pipe Bloodletter adds amusement to the piece and I got to use the UV resin mixed with some green wash to create the horrid goo in the pipe with him. I love how that worked out. I am not convinced about the copper pipe itself, but regardless of that, the diorama works.

This is not the Mephiston I will be using on the table top though, he is too big and I do not want him to get damaged. I may have to paint another version of Mephiston in the future, but for now, I am content to just have this one!

40K · miniatures.

Iron Hand Intercessors

I love painting Space Marines, so it always pleases me to be able to do so. I have some intercessors and seeing how the others sold really well, and I had some left over bits, I decided to make another squad of Iron Hands. I’m really pleased with how they have turned out, and I think I am getting rather decent at painting black armour as well. I like how the spots of highlight have worked this time as well.

IMG_E3600IMG_E3601IMG_E3602IMG_E3603

The face also looks good in my eyes; faces are something I want to continue to develop this year and this is a good start.

If you are interested in purchasing these minatures, they are available in the store: http://www.blackhandmarines.com/store

miniatures. · Painting Tutorial

Tutorial – Battle Damage

I started to practice battle damage on one of my tanks during some personal hobby time the other evening and someone asked if I would be able to tell them how I did it. Here is my step by step guide to creating battle damage on vehicles:

Step 1: Basecoat and edgehighlight the tank. Don’t worry about being super duper neat with the edge highlights, those parts that are a bit thicker or smudgy you can create chips with later. I am going to focus on the one panel for the purpose of this tutorial.

IMG_2694Step 2 – Take a piece of sponge and dip it into the highlihgt colour. Wipe most of the paint off, as though you were drybrushing, and spot it over the panel which is to be damaged.

IMG_2695

Step 3: Using the edge highlight colour, paint in sharp, jagged shapes within the panel. Jagged is important. Don’t use soft lines!

IMG_2696

Step 4 – Paint inside the jagged shapes with Dark Brown – I have used Doombull in this case. Do not paint over the edge of the highlight colour, you want a small edge between the base colour and the brown.

IMG_2697

Step 5 – Paint inside the brown with a darker brown – here I have used Dryad Bark.IMG_2698

Step 6 – Paint another layer of darker brown inside what you have done already. I have used Dryad bark mixed with Black 50/50.IMG_2699

Step 7 – Use Seraphim Sepia to paint lines of rust from the lowest point of the damaged space. This creates the effect of running gunk from the battle damage.

IMG_2700

Step 7 – This effect can be used over decals as well.IMG_2702

I hope that helps! I would love to see people’s attempts at battle damage if they decide to try it out.