I was really pleased with how the Splintered Fang Warband turned out, so I decided to have a go at another warband with a lot of skin on show, this time focusing on a lighter brown. I picked up some of the Spire Tyrants and had a go at them. I love painting black and gold – it’s the heretic in me I am sure – and so these were a great chance to do so with no real motivation for wanting to keep them forever. If it had been Space Marines, that would be a different story. Here they are in all their glory:
I am pleased with the lighter brown skin here, though shading it was trickier. I didn’t use purple this time, I used a darker shade of brown. I base coated in Dryad Bark as before but gave a light dusting of XV-88 with the airbrush, just the slightest of coating to alter the tone. I then used Mournfang and XV-88 to add highlights. I shaded with Agrax Wash (I think). I’d certainly like to try again sometime and refine the process.
This warband is available in the Store section of this blog.
As many of you are aware, I have been on a mission to try different skin tones. It started off with ‘The Daily Head’, which was great but I wanted to try other body parts as well. Space Marines tend to hide behind armour, so I picked up some of Warcry’s Cypher Lords to give it a go.
I am pleased with the result. For the dark skin, I used a base of Dryad Bark, with a watered down wash of Daruchii Violet and then Caroshade Crimson. I then mixed Dryad Bark with XV-88 for the highlights. I really like the purple tones to the dark skin this has created and will look into this more next time I come to paint dark skin. For the paler tone, I started off with Cadian Fleshtone. I then washed it first with thinned down Agrax Earthshade and Seraphim Sepia. I then mixed Cadian Fleshtone with Kislev flesh for the highlights. I then used Kislev flesh for the scars. I wanted to keep it simple and it seems to have worked out alright. It will be a spring board for more flesh experiments to come in the future.
The Daily Head seems to have been rather successful on twitter and so I have decided to share how I am doing the skintone practice with others. This is the method I learned at Seige Studios on their course. I have others I want to try out as well, but seeing how I have already got a few heads base coated, I wanted to stick with this way until I need to make some more.
Step 1: Base Coat.
I airbrushed the bases of all the heads starting with Cadian flesh, moving on to Kislev flesh and then a final highlight of Flayed One Flesh
Wash the entire head with a very watered down Seraphim Sepia.
Recess shade all the recesses with neat Seraphim Sepia.
Recess shade two thirds of the recesses with Agrax Earthshade – not watered down/thinned.
Recess shade one third of the recesses – started from the nose/centre of the face, with Nuln Oil.
Black out everything that is not the face – this will stop the mind getting confused while you focus on the face. We are trained to know faces from birth, so keeping the face upright will also really help with this. Also shade in the eyes! I use black 70.950 by model colour for this as it is a nice matt black, but Abaddon Black will also suffice.
I have a special brush for eyes. It’s a fine detail brush with the point cut off to make it flat – this makes excellent dots without the point slipping and creating a mess. Use this amazing dot brush to place a dot at the two sides of each eye, as shown. Most of the time, this gets rid of the boogly eye that you get when you dot the black in the middle.
Also, highlight the ‘T Zones’ of the face with thinned down Kislev flesh. If you want a paler look, Flayed One Flesh would work here too.
Here is my progress so far. I know my brush control has improved from the first one. Things can only get better from here too. Just keep practicing!