I’ve not had a great deal to blog about lately, other than seeing Rambo. Hobby wise, I have been painting the D&D scenary for Stronghold Games and I don’t think that would be exciting content if I posted about the eighth bookcase I have painted. I have also worked on Shalaxi today however and wanted to share the progress I have made. I’ve finished all the cloth and most of the skin now – all except the tail and I am pleased with the results again. I took some quick pictures with the lightbox, and without – I’ve yet to find a happy medium as yet with the lightbox, it always seems to bleach the colour out when I take pictures. Though I think this is probably due to them being taken on an old iPhone!
Anyway, here they are!
When it’s done, I will be selling Shalaxi, though I think that is some time off yet. I’m pleased so far at the very least.
Just a quick update on how I am progressing with the daemon prince(ss) of Slaanesh. I have decided that this will be my reward miniature. For the last hour of the day, I will paint it as a reward for getting through the D&D scenery and the Critical Role stuff as well.
Today I managed to get most of the other claw finished. The blending takes a long time to get right and I am still not totally happy with where I ave left it. I think there are some parts that need smoothing out in terms of colour transitions, however I made a good start on it. I can look again tomorrow with fresh eyes and make any adjustments that need doing then.
What do you think?
Normally, I wouldn’t blog about Works in Progress (WIPS) as I think it is better to wait until a miniature is done before I talk about it. However I am working on something a bit special I think and it is turning out a lot better than I hoped it would.
Layering was something I have practiced before, both at the Seige Studios painting course and with Gary, but both times have been on swords. I used something similar when I did Abaddon’s non-metallic metals as well, but I wanted to try the technique on something different and see how it worked. I had also seen another WIP of Shalaxi on the internet and so if I got stuck, I would have a frame of reference.
I like the colour blue and have the most experience with it I think, so I picked the four colours and got going. I used Caledor sky for the deep shading, Teclis blue and Temple Guard blue for the mid tones and Baharroth blue for the very light places. Each layer was exceptionally thin and it took a long time to build up the colours so they covered the area and then blend them into place. So far, I have spent 6 hours on the miniature, and I have only done the chest, upper thighs and face.
That said, I think it is already looking pretty special and I really am looking forward to doing the rest of the miniature. It might take a full month at this rate, but it will look good when it’s finished. Perhaps my best miniature yet!
I also want to give the stockings and glove things it appears to be wearing a sheer look, so they are see through. I am not sure how I will do this just yet, but I have plenty of time to work this out.