I’ve been painting some more of Sons of Guilliman today and I thoroughly enjoyed them. These kits are a bit older Than most I have done and as such, the mould lines needed extra attention. I think they were first made in 2004 so a lot has changed since they were new
What I love about these is the colour scheme. I love how bright they are and they are a pleasure to paint once again.
They have been a welcome change from the Lunar Auxilia I’ve worked on over the past couple of weeks, I hope you like them as much as I do!
I finished this fellow last week and wanted to talk about him – and show him off too. I tried a few new things with his and refined others. First of all, here he is:
The refined technique was the old leather. I have tried it a few times in the past but feel this time it came together well. I added a few lighter highlights and nicks to give it a more cracked feel. I think that worked well.
The other new part is the sword. I wanted to try a lava technique. I started with the dark colours and worked primarily with orange. A few lighter colours towards the edge and a final black highlight along the middle created the effect I wanted.
All in all, I am really pleased with how he turned out. I am sure he will be inspiring the other Blood Angels with his deeds very soon!
Well, I have finally moved into the new house and set up one of the rooms to be my painting lair! I am so relieved to be back in a routine of painting and working! The move went as well as these things can, with only the minor hitch of the Hire Van Window being broken – it had slipped downand the electronics decided to not work. A quick fix with gaffa tape and some plastic and we were all good.
It took a while to get everything sorted out, but here is my new painting set up.
The first thing I wanted to do was finish off a couple of Salamander’s tanks that I had worked on before the move. It was a good way to get back into painting again and they served as a refresher as well.
I am now working on a Judiciar for my Blood Angel’s force, this involved edge highlighting and I am sure that will be more of a challenge that the battle damaged tanks I have just finished.
I wanted to have a go at painting white ceramite – it is not something I have done a great deal of and I wanted to give it a go and see if I could do it quickly. I undercoated some intercessors black, gave them an airbrush of Dawnstone and went from there.
I then drybrushed the miniatures Ulthuan grey quite heavily and then lighter with a couple of layers of white over the top of that. It didn’t take overly long to do and I think they turned out alright. Here are some pictures, with more thoughts afterwards;
I went with red bases so they stood out against the white ceramite. The red and green details also help break up the white. They did not take long to do which was part of the experiment.
The other aspect was the decals. I only had old ones, and they took considerable softening before they would sit in place. What I found was they were still shiny despite several applications of micro-sol, so I sprayed them with matt varnish. This took all the shine from them and made them appear ‘painted on.’
I learned a great deal while I painted these minatures and I am pleased with how they appear. I am not a fan of painting white, but that is no reason to not do so!
I was recently contacted again for some more work on the onderful red, orange and grey marines that I have painted a couple of times in the past. I was thrilled to be able to paint these guys again, the scheme is a lot of fun, is bright, vibrant and cheery – in my mind at least. This time it was more of the Indomitus Box, some First Generation Marines and a Librarian in terminator armour. Here they are:
The home brew Chapter is called Sons of Guilliman and it was a real pleasure to work on some more of them. I know they are involved in battles against the foul greenskin and I do hope they are conquering them well.
I have also asked for some shots of them all together, as it will be great to see them! Proof that I have indeed painted an army!
Today, I finally got around to playing my first game of 9th Edition. I’ve spent a bit of time getting a Crusade force together with the intention of using them while playing. I have named every miniature, and I am in the process of painting them too. I took the following out for the first battle:
So, how did the first battle go? There were some heroics, but there were some pretty awful events as well.
The best unit this game was the Outriders, they took a great number of Necron Warriors out with both their guns and their chainswords. Although they did not kill an entire unit, they managed to decimate two. Unfortunately, Necron Warriors come back so that proved to be problematic.
The Captain and the Intercessors come next. They were securing objective 2 when they were charged by a Skorpek Lord and the Skorpek warriors. It was all going so well until the dice deserted the Captain, resulting in the Skorpek wiping out the unit and the Captain in the next turn.
The Lieutenant did very little and so is at the bottom of the honour role for today. He got charged and died. He did do a little damage with his last hit – which I used a command point to do, but other than that, he sucked.
So. I didn’t win. I did get some experience points for the Force though, and it was fun to play. There is a lot to remember – a lot more than Adeptus Titanicus, and my head felt blown towards the end. I’ve not played 40K for a couple of years but some of it came back to me as I played. Scenery rules seem to make more sense to me as well. I will pick it up the more I play, of that I am sure.