When I started painting, at the tender age of 14, I was a goth. I wore black, listened to The Sisters of Mercy a lot and painted undead. It suited me to the ground and although I wasn’t all that good at painting, I loved it.
A short while ago, one of the Foundry orders was to paint a vampire on a horse. I was taken back twenty something years to my early painting days and found myself wanting to paint undead again.
One trip to Stronghold Games in Hull later, I found myself with a start collecting box of AoS Soulblight Gravelords and a colour scheme in mind.
Although I have been busy with work miniatures, I managed to squeeze in some time to paint these little gems:
I love them. 14 year old goth me loves them. Neon green paint is a bit of an interesting addition but I feel it works well.
I also have a huge box of the Mortal Realms Night Haunts hanging around so you can bet on it they will be seeing some paint in the not too distant future!
I’ve been up to my knees in Ad Mech and 3D printing for a while, that I forgot to post this guy. This knight was a commission I did recently. It was a challenge as it’s the biggest miniature I have painted and built from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed doing so and I loved how he turned out.
The client wanted a dark and sinister scheme so after discussion, we went for black and dark copper. Here is how he turned out:
The last picture I couldn’t resist taking.
Both of us were pleased with how it turned out and I learned a great deal while creating him.
I’ve been painting some more of Sons of Guilliman today and I thoroughly enjoyed them. These kits are a bit older Than most I have done and as such, the mould lines needed extra attention. I think they were first made in 2004 so a lot has changed since they were new
What I love about these is the colour scheme. I love how bright they are and they are a pleasure to paint once again.
They have been a welcome change from the Lunar Auxilia I’ve worked on over the past couple of weeks, I hope you like them as much as I do!
I finished this fellow last week and wanted to talk about him – and show him off too. I tried a few new things with his and refined others. First of all, here he is:
The refined technique was the old leather. I have tried it a few times in the past but feel this time it came together well. I added a few lighter highlights and nicks to give it a more cracked feel. I think that worked well.
The other new part is the sword. I wanted to try a lava technique. I started with the dark colours and worked primarily with orange. A few lighter colours towards the edge and a final black highlight along the middle created the effect I wanted.
All in all, I am really pleased with how he turned out. I am sure he will be inspiring the other Blood Angels with his deeds very soon!
Shadows of Brimstone is a game we play a lot! I have mentioned it previously on my blog, and have always described it as a ‘Wild West Cthulhu’ version of Warhammer Quest. It is made by Flying Frog and is one of the best games I have ever played. It is fun, tough and different every time we play.
It also contained a lot of miniatures, most of which are unpainted. I have decided to dedicate one day of the week to painting these miniatures so we no longer have to endure grey plastic while we are playing. It is going to take many weeks to get through the backlog, but the miniatures are different to what I usually work on so should be good for a break. Wednesday’s will be my Shadows day. Here are the ones that I finished off this week:
I am a particular fan of the raptor and the slugs as they are bright coloured and stand out. I mostly used drybrushing to achieve the effects on them. The slime on the slugs was added using water effects paint!