miniatures.

Diorama – The Sorcerer’s Bad Day

I love making dioramas and small scenes that tell a story. I think, for me, it is the best part of the hobby. Don’t get me wrong, painting is a lot of fun too and I wouldn’t ever stop doing so for long but being able to craft the miniatures is just better.

I made this one as a prize for a contest give-away over on twitter. Andy, the winner, said I could either purchase a miniature for him, or create something fun. In my eyes, not much of a choice. He also came back a few days later to say he no longer wanted the miniature in question. So something fun it was!

Tyrannids are good for that, and fortunately, I had some already kicking around. I also had a chaos sorcerer, and I thought it would be good to ruin his day. Here is the result:

Highlights for me are the ripper grabbing a hold of the sorcerer’s cloak and getting flung into the air – I am sure he is having a lot of fun. There wasn’t much conversion work for this piece, just the chomping ripper, who had his tongue removed, and the ‘gaunt who is stabbing the sorcerer in the leg.

Either way, I am pleased with the result and I know Andy is too. I thoroughly enjoyed creating this and look forward to creating the next one!

40K · miniatures.

Basing!

I have spent this week working on the base of a diorama I plan to enter for the Everchosen Open category at the end of the month. I doubt this entry will get very far, but for me, the challenge of converting and building this miniature and the base, was motivation enough.

The idea was to have a Night Lord jumping on a Broodlord’s head and stabbing it with lightning claws. The miniatures I already had painted as they were going to be part of the diorama for Golden Demon that didn’t get finished. The challenge with them now was going to be fititng them onto a smaller base and still making it look good.

I went for a round base, and here are the materials I started off with:

IMG_2163

I used the cork to build up the centre of the base. The wire brush was good at roughing up the edges so it didn’t look too much like a sheet of cork. I then glued on fine gravel to give the entire base some texture.

IMG_2164

I still wasn’t happy with the cork, so I used texture paint to cover it. I wanted it to match the texture of the ground.

After leaving it to dry completely, I undercoated it black. I then had to attach the broodlord to the base, so out came the greenstuff. I used that to create rock up around his feet and the sculpting tools to make it look as much like rock as I could!

I didn’t like it 24 hours later, so I covered it in sand to see if I could get the textures to match – happily, it worked!

IMG_2195

I then undercoated it black. After it had dried. I painted the whole base dryad bark and then washed it with Nuln oil. I then spent a good deal of time drybrushing different shades of brown over the base. I aimed for a reddish colour, this is how it turned out:

IMG_2199

The base was still flat, so I added some burnt tufts of grass, a nurgling and some slime, a ripper and a few spots of blackish-blue blood. Here is the final result:

IMG_2202IMG_2203IMG_2204IMG_2205IMG_2206IMG_2207