One thing I decided that I was going to do this year, was try and refine my blending for non-metallic metal painting. It is not a quick method, and it is not one I am confident with. I have done a fair bit of gold but I want to expand that to other colours. As such, I have grabbed a Stormcast mini and had a go using greens instead. I am quite pleased with the results:
I am generally pleased with it. I do think there needs to be more of the middle tones of green, and the weapons need refining, but this is what the process is all about – learning and improving. I have more Stormcast kicking about not doing anything so I will have another go soon and see what I can do to get better.
Another set of intercessors but this time in dark green. I used the airbrush to create the effect again but this time did not use a medium colour. I still like how they turned out and the red adds a bigger contrast to them too. Here they are:
For a friend’s birthday, I bought them a Necromunda gang. They welfare the Corpse Grinder cult, and shall be used in a weeks time when there is a Necromunda Day at our house. All the gangs will be painted and as this friend isn’t a painter, they asked me to do so.
I agreed of course but when I asked about the colour scheme, they said I could pick. Here is the result:
I decided against adding blood splats because I wanted that pink to be seen by all.
Recently, I was asked if I would paint prizes for a give away over on Simply Warhammer. I was only too happy to agree and last week, the prize arrived. The winner wanted some MK VI marines painted as Crimson Fists, and today I finished them.
They were fun, I love dark blue and red so these were a real pleasure to work on! Here they are:
Regular client and my good friend, Andy over at Simply Warhammer on Youtube, commissioned me to finish off a set of three Knight Moirax recently.
I love painting bigger miniatures and these are lovely detailed kits. They did not take me too long to paint as bits of them were already done. I am especially pleased with the bases – this is something I want to start getting a bit more adventurous with. I used red crackle paint over a yellow base and then drybrushed some orange over the top and added dead plants to give a desert battle ground feel.
I love going to Warhammer World and today was as awesome as always. It has been a while since I have been, and I know some of the displays have changed. After a refreshing lunch at Bugmans – as good as always – we decided to explore the galleries and see what we could find. I took a lot of pictures while we walked around and took away a lot of inspiration and ideas.
I also ran into a friend while there, which was lovely as I had not seen them since before lockdown! The atmosphere was buzzing and it was great to see the event hall in use by so many people too.
One of my clients has recently retired from the Coast Guard, and has asked me to paint an Inquisitor and his retinue in Coast Guard colours. This group also need a super cool transport, which I have been working on this past week. He asked if it could be painted in the colours of the Coast Guard’s vehicles, with their symbol on the back. I was only too happy to oblige. It turned out to be quite the challenge. This is the symbol I worked from, and the car for reference too:
I wanted the symbol to look really cool, so decided the yellow would be a non metallic metal gold. First thing I did was sketch out the symbol where I wanted it on the tank in pencil
I then proceeded to add the gold, working up through the colours starting dark and then layering up yellows and browns until I had the effect I wanted.
I added the gems in the crown and tidied up the details.
The final part – which was the hardest – was adding the ‘Greek Key’ pattern over the top of the gold. This was particularly nerve-wracking, as if I had gone wrong, I would have had to start over again. I practiced the pattern first, then lightly drew it on in pencil. I then painted over it.
Lastly, I used bluetack to lift of the remaining pencil and the end result is what you see.