The only thing I have freehanded in the last couple of years is the galaxy cloaks a lot of people know me for. I wanted to try my hand at it and seeing how I decided to put the flat panels on the Adeptus Titanicus Reaver, I thought I would give it a go.
Now, the Legio that Twitter voted on was Legio Mortis, so I had a look at the heraldry, cursed at the complexity of it and rolled up my sleeves.
I started by sketching the image out on the panel with a pencil very lighty. At this point, the princeps of the Reaver was asking, ‘Why can I see graphite.’
I then took a deep breath and got stuck in. I started off by filling in the black for the eyes and nose, as this seemed a good base. Next came the skull. I have been asked about painting bone and so shall be doing a tutorial on that next week. It is a combination of five colours and a lot of wet blending to make sure there are no glaring blend lines.
Next came the bars around the skull. I used Eshin grey as the base and then added black or white depending on which tone I was after. I then blended them together to create shadows and light and this is the result.
So, what do I think.
The cranium of the skull is a little too big, I think the teeth on the skull are a bit too stark and I know some of the grey rods are wonky.
Otherwise, I think I did alright in the end. Not bad for a first attempt in a couple of years. I will be doing similar again in the near future, got to keep practicing!
I picked this guy up from the games store because I thought he looked cool, not other reason than that. You have to be a bad ass to get away with weilding two axes at once after all.
So, I decided after putting him together – he was fine cast, there was a lot of swearing, some hot water reshaping and some further cursing, but I got it done with only one airbubble – that I would paint him like he was on the box. Green is not a colour I have done a lot with and I wanted to practice.
Here are the results:
I’ve taken some shots with different backgounds in the light box as I am still getting to grips with it.
Anyway, I am so pleased with the green blending on this. It worked out really well in the end I think. There are some spots where I think the gradient could be more gradual, but I was focusing on wet blending in this case – something I enjoy doing but feel I could use practice at. I learned a lot from him though and am pleased.
He is up for sale, so if you are interested in owning him, here’s the link:
I was asked the other day about wet blending and how I do it so I said that I would run through how I do it as best as I can. I’ve taken some pictures to try and illustrate the process.
Wet Palette. Nothing fancy, just a take away tub, a sponge and some baking paper:
When adding water to the wet palette, I keep the water just below the top of the sponge. This is my personal preference and it is a case of finding what works for you.
Select the paints you’re going to use. I am painting a cloak on a Stormcast for the purpose of this tutorial and I am going for dark purple.
Paint the darkest colour as a base on the area that is going to be blended. Don’t worry if it looks watery or parts of the undercoat show through, this will be fixed when blending.
While the paint is still wet, get the next lightest colour on your brush – not too much of it though – and mix it in the spaces you want to be lighter on the miniature. Try and make the two colours mix without any clear lines between the two.
Repeat this with the lighter colour for the places you want to be lighter. Again, try to do this without leaving any clear lines. I always try to get as smooth a blend as possible.
I also added some darker blends with dark blue because I wanted to add depth to the purple. You can see it in the second image above.
That is how I wet blend. I am aware that this is a tricky skill, or can be, for some and it takes a lot of practice. I’ve popped a couple of examples of what you can do with wet blending, though the limits are just your own thoughts. I hope this has helped!