I love Warhammer World. There is always more to see in the exhibition and the atmosphere is always buzzing and open.
This time, we explored the exhibition and I took pictures of things I would like to try out myself in the future, as well as characters I particularly like.
In the afternoon, we tried the Warhammer escape room, which was amazing. We crawled through tunnels, solved puzzles and ran away from chaos space marines! We managed to get out in 38 minutes! it was awesome.
I know Dante has not yet gone through the rubicon in 40k Lore, but that doesn’t mean I can’t make him as a primaris anyway. I saw several versions done by others online and decided to have a go myself.
I based him on sergeant Jovan, wanting to go for a post battle scene with some tyranids – what else would the venerable Chapter Master fight so hard against?
I have a lot of spares kicking about, so was able to gather some Blood Angel bits to use. I sliced off a symbol from a power fist and attached it to his chest after removing the skull in the centre of the Aquila.
Changing the helmet was tricky, but as I have some sanguinary guard spares so used one of those. After gouging out Jovan’s original helmet, it was a case of wiggling the new one into the gap. I used an encarmine axe as the Axe Mortalis and plan on using a brood Lord body for it to be buried in.
The trickiest part was Dante’s head. Usually, he keeps it covered but I think after the rejuvenation of the ‘embiggering’ he’d not be so worried. All I had to do was green stuff some long hair onto the mini… which was not too bad. I do need practice which might well happen this week!
Here he is, post battle and almost ready for painting!
After building the intercessors, it occurred to me that I had to paint them too. I have myself 3 days to get them all done and I managed to do it! Challenge success.
I’ve not painted a batch that size for some time and it was a good opportunity to get some practice in. So, here are 6 combat squads of Black Templar Intercessors for your enjoyment!
The biggest pain with them was the old decals. They didn’t soften very well and some look crackled on the mini. Varnishing did help with them and they have all stuck. I think maybe I need to get some practice in with sticking decals on curved surfaces in the future!
Every once in a while, I get to work on my own miniatures. Rarer still, I get to finish one. I finally finished off the blade guard ancient from the Indomitus box, released last century (it seems).
I have a few Blood Angels and this guy was supposed to be with that force. The plan for them was to use them to practice skills on and at the end have a decent painted force. I still do that from time to time, but those who know me well also know I have Titans and I focus on them more than the Blood Angels.
It doesn’t mean I don’t adore the Blood Angels though, and after many months, I finally finished one!
I’ve found some time, between the commissions and the Foundry, to practice some more layer blending.
It’s a technique I am far from mastering but feel this mini has forced me to consider how I layer blend and as such, I have gotten better at it.
I wanted to try blending different colours, not just light to dark tones. I feel the result is a very vibrant mini and that I have had a good bit of success with the technique. It’s nowhere near perfect, but it is a good step in the right direction.
Sometimes, I get to work on miniatures for myself! I had a day not so long ago where I did just that. I decided I wanted to work on different coloured layer blending. I’ve done plenty using shades of the same colour but not different colours. I picked on the Gaunt Summoner to give it a go.
I have a long way to go with him yet, but I wanted the colours to be bright as it suits Tzeentch. I’m pleased with the green to yellow, but think the blue purple needs work. It’s a Work in Progress and I’m sure I can smooth it out as I go along.
The other mini I worked on was the Warmaster Titan. I want it to look as mean as the Warlord so I’m back on the freehand. It’s going to take some time…
I was super excited when the Hexfire box was announced, mostly because the Thousand Son character looked cool and I wanted him.
I’ve been working on him for a while and I am pleased to say he has turned out super well. I’m more than pleased with him! Here he is:
His cloak came out exactly how I wanted it to. He’d not be a proper sorcerer if he didn’t have a galaxy cloak after all! It’s been a while since I have painted one and I had a lot of fun layering up the colours.
The eye on the staff also came out well, adding a sense of menace to the mini.
Kaphiri is the second of three sorcerers who ‘run’ the Warband. They’re supposed to be a part of the cult of mutation, however not one of them has actually mutated yet. Kaphiri is the sensible one of the three. He is the one in charge of summoning things and trying to keep a rein on Menskera’s ideas – he has partial success at this.
Now that the busy month of August has passed, I have had a bit of time to catch up on painting and get some work done. I was fortunate enough to get my hands on a Hexfire box and have wasted no time in getting the Grey Knights painted. I plan on keeping the Thousand Sons so they have joined the waiting list of personal projects, but the Grey Knights were always going to be sold – which is why they got done first. Here they are in all the silver glory!
I thoroughly enjoyed painting these guys, and the silver turned out exactly how I wanted it to.
I started with a base coat of Leadbelcher, washed with Guilliman Glaze, then dry brushed with Stormhost silver. The blue tint shows through well without it being overpowering. The weaponry also looks awesome – I opted for layer blended swords so they didn’t blend in with the other metallics.
And of course, it wouldn’t be one of my miniatures without something fancy on the cloak!