I have been working on an army commission for the Adeptus Mechanicus for the past couple of weeks, and I like to think I have finished the first third of the army. I have not done a commission this large before, but I am really enjoying it. I was thinking about having my own Ad Mech army, but now I get all the joy of painting one, without having to find space to keep it afterwards. Here is how I have got on so far:
I have already built part of the next third, so keep your eyes open for future blog posts.
As some of you know, I indulge occasionally in Live Action Role Play. With the pandemic easing off, we’ll soon be allowed back out in the field again. Time to shed the weight, get fit again and get running about in the woods, be it in Post Apocalyptic Style, or High Fantasy. Last weekend was LarpCon – albeit in a different form. Outside in the sunshine and ticketed so as not to overcrowd. There were plenty of traders, plenty of hand sanitizer and lots of seeing old friends again, and meeting new ones.
I did manage to pick up a few things, but my favourite purchase was a hand bound book in green leather and gold metal. Anyone who knows me, knows I love notebooks and this one just had to be mine! It is far too heavy to carry around as a spell book, but I had to have it anyway.
The lady who made it was a lovely person too. She makes all her books by hand, which is quite a skill, and I happened to catch sight of some of her calligraphy too, which was awe inspiring. She has other glorious notebook for sale – some of which I have pictured here, and she can be found on Facebook here:
I’ve been up to my knees in Ad Mech and 3D printing for a while, that I forgot to post this guy. This knight was a commission I did recently. It was a challenge as it’s the biggest miniature I have painted and built from start to finish. I thoroughly enjoyed doing so and I loved how he turned out.
The client wanted a dark and sinister scheme so after discussion, we went for black and dark copper. Here is how he turned out:
The last picture I couldn’t resist taking.
Both of us were pleased with how it turned out and I learned a great deal while creating him.
I live orks, and they are high on the list of next army should I ever manage to finish any of the ones I am working in personally. I like the silliness that comes with them, and the conversion potential for nearly everything is amazing.
I had these ones kicking about so decided to put them together and paint them up as a reminder of how to paint more than anything else:
I am pleased with how they turned out, and hope to do more orks in the future.
It has been ages since I played anything remotely table top related. The house move and then settling in has put a stress on time. The good news is we are now in, the hobby room set up and we squeezed in a game of Titans!
I love AT. Titans are just cool and getting to stomp and blast your opponent is fun. As it has been a while, we went for the Axiom Manifold – A warlord, a reaver and a warhound – each which with weapons is around 1000 points.
How to play came back to me slowly, and this time we added in stratagems and missions. I had thermal mines and search and destroy respectively.
Unfortunately, my Reaver took a battering early on. By the end of turn one, it has no shield and had taken critical damage to the body. Emergency repairs had to be made, and revenge taken.
I managed to sneak my warhound in behind my opponent’s Reaver and blast it to death with my flamer – thankfully it did not explode!
Despite valiant effort on the part of the servitors, the Reaver was also destroyed. Both warhound shot killed by the warlords, and the game ended at turn 5.
I won on victory points – 25:3, which makes this game my first ever victory with Titans. I had a lot of fun and it makes me want to get those engines painted all the sooner!
I finished this fellow last week and wanted to talk about him – and show him off too. I tried a few new things with his and refined others. First of all, here he is:
The refined technique was the old leather. I have tried it a few times in the past but feel this time it came together well. I added a few lighter highlights and nicks to give it a more cracked feel. I think that worked well.
The other new part is the sword. I wanted to try a lava technique. I started with the dark colours and worked primarily with orange. A few lighter colours towards the edge and a final black highlight along the middle created the effect I wanted.
All in all, I am really pleased with how he turned out. I am sure he will be inspiring the other Blood Angels with his deeds very soon!
I wanted to have a go at painting white ceramite – it is not something I have done a great deal of and I wanted to give it a go and see if I could do it quickly. I undercoated some intercessors black, gave them an airbrush of Dawnstone and went from there.
I then drybrushed the miniatures Ulthuan grey quite heavily and then lighter with a couple of layers of white over the top of that. It didn’t take overly long to do and I think they turned out alright. Here are some pictures, with more thoughts afterwards;
I went with red bases so they stood out against the white ceramite. The red and green details also help break up the white. They did not take long to do which was part of the experiment.
The other aspect was the decals. I only had old ones, and they took considerable softening before they would sit in place. What I found was they were still shiny despite several applications of micro-sol, so I sprayed them with matt varnish. This took all the shine from them and made them appear ‘painted on.’
I learned a great deal while I painted these minatures and I am pleased with how they appear. I am not a fan of painting white, but that is no reason to not do so!