I love Warhammer World. There is always more to see in the exhibition and the atmosphere is always buzzing and open.
This time, we explored the exhibition and I took pictures of things I would like to try out myself in the future, as well as characters I particularly like.
In the afternoon, we tried the Warhammer escape room, which was amazing. We crawled through tunnels, solved puzzles and ran away from chaos space marines! We managed to get out in 38 minutes! it was awesome.
Today, we headed in to Newark to explore. It is an ancient town and has a ruined castle that was build over 1000 years ago. The ‘new’ castle, which is there today, was constructed on top of an ancient Anglo-Saxon fort.
During the English civil war, Newark was a Royal stronghold and was laid siege to for 3 years. One of the reasons the castle wasn’t destroyed at the end of the siege was because the plague had broken out within the city.
We then explored the rest of the town, which was enjoyable. It felt like a mini York. We ate at a little Greek place and we sat in the sun, which was great considering it’s the end of October.
This week, I’m away with the fam – parents, sister’s family and mine. We are staying in a cottage in a tiny village a few miles from Nottingham and Newark.
Today we ventured to the Major Oak – an ancient oak tree – between 800 and 1000 years old. It was lovely to walk through the woodland and get outside. The tree is amazingly huge and impressive. There were also plenty of Robin Hood bits lying around too.
I have also walked my sister’s dog a fair bit, who is enjoying the warmth of the room this evening. Fun was had all round!
I had a go at painting Yndrasta recently, and wanted to get her done relatively quickly. As such, most of her was painted using dry brushing. I layer up the colours, starting dark and then working up to the brightest with less and less pressure on the brush. The wings show this the clearest and I feel it worked well.
I also dry brushed the metallic part of her, finally using a detail brush to pick out other details such as the gems and belts. I’m really pleased with how she turned out.
I also added some grasses to the base to make it look a bit swampy. There are some of those details already there, however I added some more to make the effect more dynamic. Here she is:
I know Dante has not yet gone through the rubicon in 40k Lore, but that doesn’t mean I can’t make him as a primaris anyway. I saw several versions done by others online and decided to have a go myself.
I based him on sergeant Jovan, wanting to go for a post battle scene with some tyranids – what else would the venerable Chapter Master fight so hard against?
I have a lot of spares kicking about, so was able to gather some Blood Angel bits to use. I sliced off a symbol from a power fist and attached it to his chest after removing the skull in the centre of the Aquila.
Changing the helmet was tricky, but as I have some sanguinary guard spares so used one of those. After gouging out Jovan’s original helmet, it was a case of wiggling the new one into the gap. I used an encarmine axe as the Axe Mortalis and plan on using a brood Lord body for it to be buried in.
The trickiest part was Dante’s head. Usually, he keeps it covered but I think after the rejuvenation of the ‘embiggering’ he’d not be so worried. All I had to do was green stuff some long hair onto the mini… which was not too bad. I do need practice which might well happen this week!
Here he is, post battle and almost ready for painting!
We have had another couple of D&D miniatures to paint through Forster’s Foundry, and I’ve had a lot of fun with them. This is Oskar – the dwarf, and Roscoe – the gnome (I think).
These two were a lot of fun to work on and not too complicated either. I thoroughly enjoyed the colours the client has chosen and am thrilled with how they turned out. I particularly like the hair on Oskar!
I love it when you open a drawer and find old stuff. It’s like rediscovering lost treasure. Today’s lost treasures I want to talk about are an ancient space marine and the Assault on Black Reach Captain that I found.
The Black Reach Captain I painted up to lead the squads of First Born space marines of Third Company Blood Angels. I went for a heavy metal style as I wanted to work on sharper edge highlighting.
I feel I am getting there with it, but there will always be room for improvements.
The other guy I found was from 1985, cost 75p new and is a member of ‘death squad’.
I’m going to have him join the First Born after a bit of time in a bio-strip bath.
After building the intercessors, it occurred to me that I had to paint them too. I have myself 3 days to get them all done and I managed to do it! Challenge success.
I’ve not painted a batch that size for some time and it was a good opportunity to get some practice in. So, here are 6 combat squads of Black Templar Intercessors for your enjoyment!
The biggest pain with them was the old decals. They didn’t soften very well and some look crackled on the mini. Varnishing did help with them and they have all stuck. I think maybe I need to get some practice in with sticking decals on curved surfaces in the future!
This is artificer Norric. I painted him for someone who got in touch about the print and paint service we offer at the Foundry. He is painted to Tier 2 quality and was loads of fun to work on. Fortunately. The client sent over loads of pictures of how they wanted him painting, which always helps. Using these I was able to create the mini he was after, as seen below!
Norric was created using HeroForge and printed out using Forster’s Foundry. The link to the service is below: